The West Chester Running Club is currently accepting 2021 Scholarship Applications.
Past WCRC Scholarship Recipients
Alicia Stevance, Great Valley High School
Ally Clark, West Chester East High School
Gina Lusvardi, Kennett High School
Lalitha Shanmugasundaram, Downingtown STEM
Megan Baker, Henderson High School
Claire Mobed, West Chester East High School
Joseph Chamoun, Downingtown STEM Academy
Rachel Hyzny, Kennett High School
Claire Dawyot of Kennett High School
Lucy Merrill of Henderson High School
Elizabeth Edwards of Unionville High School
Lili Ladner of The Westtown School
Connor McSwain of Henderson High School
Kacie Breeding of Unionville High School
Eric Diestelow of West Chester East High School
Olivia Young of Unionville High School
Madison Matarozzo of Owen J. Roberts High School
About the WCRC Scholarship
The West Chester Running Club (WCRC) was established in 2000 by a group of close friends who wanted to share their passion for running. WCRC promotes the benefits of health, fitness and competition through running. We support our members and the community with motivation and encouragement to obtain personal goals, create a social atmosphere and form lasting friendships. Our club is dedicated to strengthening self-image, supporting personal success, and providing a source of community involvement.
The West Chester Running Club (WCRC) awards a scholarship for students graduating from Chester County high schools.
In 2020, the West Chester Running Club (WCRC) is very pleased to announce that Alicia Stevance of Great Valley, Ally Clark of West Chester East, Gina Lusvardi of Kennett, Lalitha Shanmugasundaram of Downingtown STEM, and Megan Baker of Henderson have been selected winners of the WCRC Scholarship Award.
As always, the winners are amazing individuals, two of them with compelling stories that made the selection process even more rewarding. We are proud to award these five young scholar athletes $1,000 each to further their college educations!
Each of us in the WCRC should take pride in the legacy that has grown around our annual WCRC Scholarship Award. Beginning with the four $250 scholarships that we awarded in 2002, we have, to date, provided close to $50,000 in scholarships to deserving Chester County high school student athletes.
The process around our Scholarship program never stops. We are always interested in ideas that our Club members have for Scholarship Award fund raising or for enhancing our candidate selection process. If you have questions about the Scholarship Awards, would like to know how you can help, or are interested in contributing to our Scholarship Award endowment, please contact Ann Tierney or Dan Holland.
- has been accepted at an accredited two- or four-year college or university.
- has been a member of their high school’s cross country and/or track and field teams in grades 11 and 12 (although season(s) may have been cancelled due to Covid-19).
- has demonstrated academic excellence, athletic excellence and leadership qualities.
- is a graduating high school senior from a Chester County, PA public or private school.
Selection will be made by the WCRC Scholarship Committee. The recipient(s) will be notified in late May and the scholarship will be awarded in June.
- Complete the Application Form.
- Provide the following supporting documents:
- official transcript from grades 9-11
- senior year coursework and grades (report card or transcript)
- one letter of recommendation from either your XC or track and field coach
- one letter of recommendation from a supervising adult, which may include your principal, vice-principal, teacher, employer, or religious leader.
- typed list of community service, work experience, honors or awards and extra-curricular activities (including offices held) during grades 11-12. Please include approximate dates.
- a separate typed single page essay describing
- your education/career goals
- why running is important to you
- how Covid-19 has affected your running
- why you feel you deserve this scholarship
- APPLICATIONS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 1, 2021 TO BE CONSIDERED. We cannot make accommodations for late deliveries.
- Application form and supporting documents should be returned electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to
- West Chester Running Club Scholarship
c/o Ann Tierney
501 East Lafayette Drive
West Chester, PA 19382
- West Chester Running Club Scholarship
No materials will be returned. Please be certain that the application is legible and complete. Receipt of documents will be acknowledged through email. Email email@example.com if you have any specific questions about the scholarship or this application.